Recipe by mollypaul
A terrific way to use up turkey feast leftovers from the wonderful Rachael Ray. Chicken would make an excellent substitution for turkey.
Top Review by Scrapbook Lori
We made this tonight from leftovers. It was really good. One change I would make when making these again would be to add abit of cheese, because everything is better with cheese!!! The great thing is that since there is just the 2 of us and these are such large portions, we have some meals to freeze! Thanks for posting this recipe from my request. I love recipezaar members!!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 4 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by combining the leftover mashed potatoes, shredded turkey, chili powder, parsley, cilantro, salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
- Once the dough has defrosted, use a little flour to roll out the dough to about 1/8 of an inch thick and cut it in half horizontally.
- Cut each half vertically into 3 equal pieces; you should have 6 squares.
- Place 1/3 cup of the turkey/potato mixture in the middle of each square.
- Fold over each square so one corner meets the other, making a triangle.
- Press the sides down using a fork or pinch with your fingers (if they don't stick, moisten them slightly).
- Repeat with the other five.
- Lay them out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush empanadas with the egg wash so they will get nice and brown.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
- Serve either hot or cold.