Recipe by Noo
A simple recipe that still tastes so good that you will never believe that it only contains 0.7g of saturated fat and 12 mg of cholesterol,per portion. Perfect for those (like us!) who can't resist macaroni cheese,but need to watch cholesterol/fat levels.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Oh, yes, mac & cheese with a twist, & one we enjoyed, though I'm sure there are those purists out there who might not think of it as mac & cheese! I did, however, redo things just a little in that I chopped up the smoked turkey bacon that I used, & also diced the 2 tomatoes, but other than that . . . We found this to be a nice change! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 150 ml chicken or 150 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons low fat margarine
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 300 ml skim milk
- 2 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 ounces quick cook macaroni
- 4 smoked turkey, rashers cut in half
- 2 -3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Put chopped onion and stock into a non stick frying pan.Bring to the boil,stirring occasionally and cook for 5-6 mins,or until the stock has reduced entirely and the onion is transparent.
- Put the margarine,flour,milk and seasoning into a saucepan and whisk together over a medium heat until thickened and smooth.Take off the heat and add the cheese,mustard and onion.
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the packet.Preheat the grill.Drain the pasta thoroughly and stir into the sauce.Transfer to a shallow baking dish.
- Arrange the turkey rashers and tomatoes in an over lapping pattern on top of the macaroni.Tuck in the basil leaves,then sprinkle with the parmesan and grill to lightly brown the top.