Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I came up with this recipe myself. I love meatloaf but I can't eat ground beef very well so I tried ground turkey and Italian sausage together and really liked it. This is not a spicy meatloaf, but it is tasty. You can add more spices if you want or use hot Italian sausage. Making the meat mixture an hour or so ahead of time allows the flavors to blend and makes the meatloaf taste better. It also allows the wet ingredients to be absorbed by the meat and oatmeal. This will make really good sandwiches the next day. I didn't put a sauce on my meatloaf. Therefore, there is no topping suggestion included. This is real comfort food. Prep time does not include refrigeration time. Refrigeration time is optional. Recipe edited on February 12 2006.
- With one hand, mix the ground turkey, Italian sausage and steak seasoning together in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Smooth mixture out in same bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove meat mixture from the refrigerator.
- Put the meat mixture in a baking dish or cake pan.
- Shape it so that the meat does not touch the sides of the dish or pan.
- This allows room for the meatloaf to expand.
- Bake for an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, depending on thickness of the loaf.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes to allow meat to"set".
Not much of a meatloaf fan myself, but I really liked this one, as did my meatloaf loving husband. The only change I made was to grate the onion instead of chopping it. Personal preference. :)
Sorry Woofie but my guys like the meatloaf I make w/ground beef better. I thought they might like this w/the turkey/sausage as they're avid turkey hunters. Of the 4 guys in my house only one said he'd eat it again. I don't eat meat and so can't comment. I feel bad....
This had good flavor, very tasty, I think next time I make it I'll use turkey italian sausage as it was quite greasy. This is my own personal taste though, and the flavor of this meatloaf was outstanding as is!