Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a really good soup. The ingredients sound a little strange. But they really work well together. This comes from Frozen Assests reader favorites.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 2 leeks
- 2 stalks celery
- 9 baby carrots, chopped
- 8 ounces chopped green chilies
- 7 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise. Wash very well to remove any grit.
- Chop leeks.
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add chopped onion and leeks. Saute until tender about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the green chilies and stir.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly.
- Place in blender and puree until smooth. You might need to do this in batches. Careful! Hot liquids will expand quite a bit in the blender. I usually just use my immersion blender and puree it right in the pot.
- Put pureed mixture back in the soup pot and keep warm on low.
- In a large skillet, saute ground turkey until brown. Add carrots and celery and cook for about 2 minutes or until meat and veggies are brown.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth. Stir, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into the soup pot with the pureed mixture. Add the evaporated milk.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Heat through.
- Serve immediately or freeze.
- To freeze:.
- Cool to room temperature. I freeze this in quart sized freezer bags. I lay them on a baking sheet until solid.
- To serve: Warm in the microwave or on stovetop until hot.
- Note: You can add 1/2 cup of cooked potatoes or rice to each bowl of soup if you want a little more substance.