Recipe by BecR
You don't have to be British to enjoy these wonderful tea-time sandwiches! Make ahead tip--the uncut sandwiches can be covered with a lightly moistened paper towel and plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving. From about.com.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon earl grey tea, finely ground (1 bag)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 16 thin slices pumpernickel bread or 16 wheat bread
- 3⁄4 lb sliced smoked turkey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mini food processor or in a bowl, blend the butter, honey, ground tea and salt.
- In a medium bowl, toss the apple with the lemon juice. Squeeze out any excess liquid and pulse or mix the apple into the honey butter.
- Spread a scant 1/2 tablespoon of the apple butter onto each slice of pumpernickel or wheat bread.
- Top half of the slices with the smoked turkey and close the sandwiches.
- Using a sharp serrated knife, trim off the bread crusts. Cut the sandwiches into 4 triangles, transfer to a plate and serve.
- MAKE AHEAD: The uncut sandwiches can be covered with a lightly moistened paper towel and plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.