Recipe by orangeteapot
This recipe is super quick, easy, and absolutely delicious. I make it the day after Thanksgiving to get rid of the leftover turkey and corn we always have at our feast. The sour cream gives the soup a bright, tangy flavor that keeps the soup light, not heavy. To make the turkey stock, simply throw the bones of the turkey in a large pot with a few celery ribs, salt and pepper, and dried thyme, fill with water, and boil for 1-3 hours, or until the stock is the color you are looking for.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Oh, yeah! Made this yesterday when we had a big 'snow' day (& since this is Southern California, most of it is now gone!) & the chowder was so comforting! I have a good amount of shredded turkey in the freezer, so that was no problem, but I did have to use some of my homemade chicken stock! I'll be keeping this recipe around ~ It's great! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced*
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced*
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, diced*
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease or 3 tablespoons turkey fat or 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans whole kernel corn
- 2 cups turkey stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cooked turkey, shredded into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sautee onions, celery, and bell pepper in bacon grease/turkey fat/butter until tender.
- Add flour and cook about 3 minutes, but don’t let the flour brown.
- Add 2 cans of corn, turkey stock, and lemon pepper seasoning. Cover with a lid and simmer about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. At this point, the soup should be about as thick as milk gravy.
- Add the milk and sour cream along with the turkey pieces, and simmer about 5 more minutes.
- Serve with shredded cheddar, green onions, and bread for dipping.
- *If you prefer not to chop a whole onion or bell pepper for such a small amount, use about 1 cup of the frozen seasoning mix that contains onions, bell pepper, and celery.