Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great way to use up left-over turkey after Christmas. Harissa is a Tunisian (North African) spice paste. Recipe adapted from Delicious magazine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 250 g shredded cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 400 g canned chick-peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, juice of
- chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- First, heat a wide, deep, non-stick saucepan over medium heat, then add the olive oil. Saute onion, stirring, for about 5 minutes, until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, Harissa and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the basmati rice and stir to coat in the mixture.
- Pour in the chicken stock, then cover and cook over low heat for about 15 minutes until the rice is cooked and all the liquid absorbed.
- Remove the lid, and add the turkey, sultanas and chickpeas, mix well, then cook a further 2 minutes to warm through. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander leaves, then serve with a fresh green salad if desired.