Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a great alternative to meat and cabbage roles. Easy to make. It is my own recipe.
Make and share this Turkey and Cabbage Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water (use empty soup can)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 head cabbage
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease covered casserole dish.
- Cut cabbage into large pieces and place in casserole dish.
- Brown turkey and onion.
- Add rice to turkey and stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Put turkey mixture over cabbage.
- Add tomato soup, water, and stewed tomatoes.
- Bake (covered) for 30 to 45 minutes until rice and cabbage are tender.
A delicious recipe that is a complete meal, low cal and low fat, too. I used extra lean ground turkey breast (because I've got to start watching fat and cals), and I added about a 1/2 tsp dried thyme and about a 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes to help compensate for the reduced fat flavor. I thought these additions worked very well. In my oven, it took about an hour to get the rice done. The cabbage was cooked just right at this point, too. Even DH, who is not a ground turkey fan, nor a cooked cabbage fan, gave it a 4 star and went for seconds (that translates to 5 star in my book!)
This was really good and works well for those of us following Weight Watchers. I will definately make it again. Thanks Barb!
Absolutely delicious! I added some minced garlic while cooking the turkey, but as others have stated I just cooked for 45 minutes and rice is still hard. Should we have used minute rice? Other than that this recipe is fantastic! I used extra lean turkey as I watch fat, so for a practically fat free recipe I give 5 stars!