Recipe by KittyKitty
This is a slow cooker recipe. This is a lower-fat chili because it is made with ground turkey breast. Make sure that you are buying ground turkey BREAST and not ground turkey, which includes both light and dark meat and will be higher in fat. If you use ground beef instead of the turkey, you won't need the oil to cook it in.
Top Review by Megatron
I think this is great, best way to have brown rice. BUT I think next time I make it, it needs more heat! Any suggestions on which spice to add more of? Also, what if one was to substitute the onion for a packet of taco seasoning mix? I think this would advance the chili aspect of this quite a bit
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, in sauce undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Cook turkey and onion in oil, stirring frequently, until turkey is no longer pink; drain.
- Mix turkey & onion with remaining ingredients except rice in a 3 1/2 to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours (or high heat setting 4-5 hours).
- Stir in rice.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting about 15 minutes or until rice is hot.