1/1 Photo of Turkey and Black Bean Stew
- Carla -'s Note:
This recipe is a little bit of work, but I think it's worth it for good food. Serve with cooked rice and chopped scallions for garnish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 sweet red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups turkey stock
- 10 ounces skinless boneless turkey breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (I use Recipe 1379 Garlic & Basil Herb Vinegar)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1Place the beans in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and set aside 1 hour.
- 2Meanwhile, coat a non-stick Dutch oven with cooking spray. Warm over medium high heat. Add the onions, carrots, green peppers, sweet red peppers, oregano, cumin and garlic.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring, 4 to 6 minutes, or until the onions start to soften. Remove the vegetables and set aside.
- 4Drain and rinse the beans. Add the beans to the Dutch oven. Add the chicken or turkey stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are nearly tender.
- 5Add the reserved vegetables and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
- 6Add the diced turkey, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until or until the turkey is cooked. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil. Let stand 5 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey and Black Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 198.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar