1 hr 20 mins
My intent was to make Cranberry Bog Turkey Burgers, ala Rachael Ray. Upon discovering that I had defrosted both beef and turkey rather than 2 pounds of turkey, I took her recipe and added my own twists to make a tender and moist meatloaf. The listed amounts of spices and herbs yield a mild flavor so if you like more punch, you'll want to increase them. For better slicing, let the loaves rest after baking or they will crumble under your knife. Mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce make great side dishes with this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 90/10%)
- 1 lb ground turkey (93/7%)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 slices bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored & diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme, ground
- 1In a large bowl, mix the beef, turkey, poultry seasoning & parsley. Set aside.
- 2In a small bowl, slightly beat the eggs then stir in the milk. Submerge the bread cubes, mixing gently to break them up.
- 3In a medium fry pan, melt the butter then add the apple, onion & celery. Sprinkle with salt & saute until the onions are translucent.
- 4Stir apple, onion, celery mixture into the meats then add the bread, milk & eggs.
- 5Work the mixture gently (I use my hands) until well combined.
- 6Divide in half & shape 2 loaves in a 9X13" baking dish.
- 7Tent with foil and bake in a 350º oven for 45 minutes.
- 8Remove from oven, pour off juices and reserve.
- 9Return loaves to oven (minus their tent) for another 15 minutes or until juices run clear. Let rest for 5-10 minutes while you make the gravy.
- 11Strain reserved pan juices and if needed, add water to equal 1 cup.
- 12Pour drippings & water into the pan you used to saute the apples/onions/celery. Whisk in the flour.
- 13Cook and stir over medium low heat until gravy thickens. Stir in the ground thyme & cook for 2-3 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Slice the loaves into portions, top with the gravy and serve.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey and Beef Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.6
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 145.4 mg
- Sodium 336.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 24.3 g