Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes. It comes from Prevention's "The Healthy Cook" Cookbook. By the taste you would never know this recipe is a "good for you" recipe. Makes a chili like burrito filling with melted cheese, wrapped by a crunchy on the edges flour tortilla. This recipe makes some leftovers. This is a good take along lunch too.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2-1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce (of desired hotness)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (fat free optional)
- 80 inches flour tortillas
- In a large saucepan cook turkey, onion, and garlic until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add in beans, tomato sauce, picante sauce, chili powder and salt.
- Cover, stirring occasionally cooking for 10 minutes.
- Spray a baking sheet with no stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spoon cooked turkey and bean mixture onto tortillas sprinkling with cheese.
- Fold and place seam side down on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12- 14 minutes until cheese is melted and tortilla edges start to crisp.
This is also great using ground chicken. I made this without the salt and tomato sauce and added about 1 tb. of cumin. I also used whole wheat tortillas.