This is a really good low fat soup/chowder- I changed the recipe slightly from the original recipe based on what I had on hand. This recipe also calls for 6 celery stalks diced but as I was out of celery I threw in 1 teaspoon celery seeds. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (I used a bit less as I ran out)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 6 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups chicken broth and 2 cups vegetable broth)
- 3⁄4 cup barley (the original recipe suggests whole barley but I used pearl barley)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs turkey, cut into cubes
- 1 cup corn kernel, frozen
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or your favorite chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (the original recipe used celery stalks which was added with the onion to the skillet)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and diced (the original recipe suggest one jalapeno or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce)
- cilantro, diced (optional)
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the cumin seed, stirring until fragrant and they start to brown (2-3 minutes). Transfer them to a mortar and grind seeds. Set aside.
- In the same skillet heat oil over medium heat and then add onions and cook until softened (5 minutes).
- Add garlic, oregano, peppercorns, celery seed (see note above), chili powder and reserved cumin and cook for another minute. Transfer to crock pot.
- Add chicken broth to crock pot.
- Add barley, turkey and corn to crock pot, stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours).
- Stir in green pepper and chili pepper and cook for high for 20-30 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Shared this with a neighbor couple who were housebound during our BIG snow & they really enjoyed it as did we! I did cut back a little on the cumin & used a much milder chili than the serrano, but that left it still hot enough for the likes of us! Thanks for posting a great keeper of a recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag Game]
This is really impossible for me to assign stars to because dh started putting his 2 cents worth in. I used chicken in place of turkey and was really just starting the soup when he came into the kitchen and said "mmmm chicken soup will sure hit the spot today". By the time he finished editing out what he wouldn't eat it was missing the corn, green pepper, any sort of chile pepper and cilantro. We both gave it a 5 star rating for "his version" but it's not the original recipe or even close. I can say that the poultry/barley combo is always great and this was no exception. My apologies ellie for skipping so much. Dh doesn't usually get involved is kitchen affairs but he decided that he wanted soup toady and it had to be his way. It really was delicious though!