1/1 Photo of Turkey and Barley Chowder (Crock Pot)
8 hrs 15 mins
This is a really good low fat soup/chowder- I changed the recipe slightly from the original recipe based on what I had on hand. This recipe also calls for 6 celery stalks diced but as I was out of celery I threw in 1 teaspoon celery seeds. Recipe source: The Healthy Slow Cooker
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed (I used a bit less as I ran out)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 -2 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorn, cracked
- 6 cups chicken broth (I used 4 cups chicken broth and 2 cups vegetable broth)
- 3/4 cup barley (the original recipe suggests whole barley but I used pearl barley)
- 1 1/2 lbs turkey, cut into cubes
- 1 cup corn kernel, frozen
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or your favorite chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (the original recipe used celery stalks which was added with the onion to the skillet)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 serrano chili pepper, seeded and diced (the original recipe suggest one jalapeno or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce)
- cilantro, diced (optional)
- 1In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the cumin seed, stirring until fragrant and they start to brown (2-3 minutes). Transfer them to a mortar and grind seeds. Set aside.
- 2In the same skillet heat oil over medium heat and then add onions and cook until softened (5 minutes).
- 3Add garlic, oregano, peppercorns, celery seed (see note above), chili powder and reserved cumin and cook for another minute. Transfer to crock pot.
- 4Add chicken broth to crock pot.
- 5Add barley, turkey and corn to crock pot, stir to combine.
- 6Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or on high for 4 hours).
- 7Stir in green pepper and chili pepper and cook for high for 20-30 minutes.
- 8Spoon into bowls and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey and Barley Chowder (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (361 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.7
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 850.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 32.8 g