2 hrs 4 mins
1 hr 19 mins
Diane C #2's Note:
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis Show: Everyday Italian Episode: Freeze It
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 ounce) box jumbo pasta shells (recommended Barilla)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, plus 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichokes, thawed and coarsely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 5 cups arrabbiata tomato sauce, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and partially cook until tender but still very firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain pasta.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and the garlic and cook until the onions are soft and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the ground turkey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is slightly golden and cooked through. Add the artichoke hearts and stir to combine. Remove from heat and let cool.
- 3In a large bowl combine the cooled turkey mixture with the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, eggs, basil, parsley, and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- 4To stuff the shells, cover the bottom of a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 cup of Arrabbiata sauce. Take a shell in the palm of your hand and stuff it with a large spoonful of turkey mixture, about 2 tablespoons. Place the stuffed shell in the baking dish. Continue filling the shells until the baking dish is full, about 24 shells. Drizzle the remaining Arrabbiata Sauce over the shells, top with the grated mozzarella. If freezing, cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 day and up to 1 month.
- 5To bake, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake until the shells are warmed through and the cheese is beginning to brown, about 60 minutes (20 minutes if shells are unfrozen.).
- 6Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until tender, about 1 minute. Add the marinara sauce and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and let cool until ready to use.
- 7Yield: approximately 6 cups.
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Shells With Arrabbiata Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (569 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 976.9
- Calories from Fat 407
- Total Fat 45.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 189.2 mg
- Sodium 2617.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 30.4 g
- Protein 51.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: