Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Desserts From the Loveless Cafe
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened (not reduced-fat or whipped)
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour a 6 to 8-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- Blend the cream cheese with the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and the vanilla.
- Scrape the bowl; add the egg and mix well. Set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
- Sift the flour, the 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl; whisk briefly to blend.
- Whisk in the oil, lemon zest, and about half of the buttermilk until smooth. This first addition will prevent lumps from forming; do not be tempted to pour in all of the liquid at once.
- Whisk in the remaining buttermilk, mixing only long enough to combine.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Dollop the cream cheese mixture over the batter, trying to center it in the pan so it doesn't reach either edge.
- Cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and slightly firm to the touch. If you check it with a toothpick or cake tester, there should be only traces of cream cheese and no loose batter.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes; invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- To add the final touch, stir the lemon juice into the confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over the cake in a random pattern.