Recipe by Wileysmom
This recipe came with a tagine I bought at Eastern Market in DC. It is easy to play with and can be made with chicken or beef instead of lamb.
- 2 lbs lamb, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 3 lbs artichokes
- 3 lbs green peas (can is OK)
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 preserved lemon
- 1⁄2 lb olive (green, red or black)
- 1 bunch parsley
- lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a mixture of 2 Tbsp.
- olive oil, ginger, saffron, and garlic.
- Bath the meat pieces in the mixture until all sides are coated.
- Put 1 Tbsp.
- olive oil in the center of the tagine and place the meat pieces on top of it.
- Clean the artichoke, take out the leaves and the core and only use the heart.
- Skin the preserved lemon.
- Place artichokes on top of the meat.
- Scatter olives on the tagine and then the skin of the preserved lemon.
- Squeeze the pulp from inside the lemon all over the vegetables.
- Add 1/2 cup water.
- Place in a preheated oven at 300 F.
- for 2 1/2 hours checking every 45 minutes for tenderness of artichokes and until water dries out.
- Then add the green peas and cook for 10 more minutes.
- (If using fresh green peas, make sure they have been boiled in salted water for 10 minutes before adding to tagine.) Serve with couscous.