Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This Tunsian tagine is more like a frittata than a stew. It can be a side dish, or served as breakfast.
- 8 eggs
- 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 6 ounces cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground meat (optional)
- spices, to taste (cumin, tumeric, coriander seeds, harissa, salt and pepper)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Boil 2 eggs for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Peel and chop potatoes. Fry in olive oil with salt, turmeric and cumin.
- Fry onions lightly, then add ground meat , if you are using it, and some salt. Let fry for a few minutes, then add harissa to taste and some water. Let simmer until most of the liquid is gone. Add some of the parsley and let cool.
- Prepare the rest of the vegetables.
- Peel and chop the boiled eggs.
- Mix vegetables, meat, potatoes, boiled eggs and about 4 ounces of the cheese in a bowl. Add the six raw eggs, salt, turmeric, cumin and crushed coriander seeds (and more harissa if you wish).
- Pour vegetable oil in an oven proof dish and pour mixture into it. Place remaining cheese on top.
- Bake in 350 F oven (medium heat) for 20-30 minutes.
- Cut into pieces and serve.