1/1 Photo of Tunisian Soup With Chard and Egg Noodles
I found this at epicurious who got it from gourmet. The North African hot sauce called harissa lends this soup its beautiful brick-red color, as well as a deep, spicy warmth that isn’t the least bit aggressive. For a supper that’s both robust and rejuvenating, chard, chickpeas, and noodles go into the pot, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 lb swiss chard, stems and center ribs chopped and leaves coarsely chopped (reserve separately)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 quarts rich and flavorful chicken stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon harissa (to taste) or 1 -2 tablespoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 4 ounces fine egg noodles (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 lemon wedges, for accompaniment
- 1Toast cumin in a dry small heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat, stirring, until deeply fragrant and dark brown (be careful not to burn). Cool, then grind to a powder in grinder.
- 2Cook chard stems, onion, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add stock, harissa, and lemon juice and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- 3Add chard leaves, chickpeas, and noodles with 1/2 teaspoon salt and simmer, covered, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 4Serve soup sprinkled with remaining cumin.
- 6Soup, without noodles, can be made 3 days ahead and chilled (covered once cool). Bring to a simmer and cook noodles in soup before serving.
Browse Our Top Chard Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chard Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Soup With Chard and Egg Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (815 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 578.8
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.3 mg
- Sodium 1402.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 25.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: