Prep 120 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Make your own olives from fresh olives.
- 200 g green olives, fresh
- 200 g black olives, fresh
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 small lemons
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 5 cloves
- 5 tablespoons coarse salt
- 50 g table salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- For the black olives, take a needle, and pierce the olives liberally. Put them in a jar, and add the coarse salt. Put the lid on, and shake the jar. For the next several days, the olives will yield water. Pour this off every day, or several times a day.
- When the olives yield no more water, rinse them in abundant water, getting rid of all the salt. Put the drained olives in a jar, and cover them with olive oil. Add the cloves and the peppercorns.
- For the green olives, wash/rinse them in lots of water. Take a needle and pierce them all over so they take in the flavors. Place them in a container filled with water. Throw out the water, and put in new water for 4 or 5 days, morning and evening.
- Drain the green olives, and put them in a jar. Cover them with salted water, 50 gr tablesalt to 1 liter of water. Add the bay leaf and the lemon, cut in quarters. When the olives begin to yellow, they are ready to eat. You could drain them and put them in olive oil at this point.
- There are many variations to olive recipes; you can add red pepper flakes, herbs, garlic, anchovies, etc.