Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Every country has it's meat pie! I like this one, no crust.
Make and share this Tunisian Meat Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb (beef chuck will do)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet, brown onion and meat in oil; remove from heat.
- Mix in potatoes, chopped eggs, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir in beaten eggs; blend well.
- Place mixture into a lightly greased 9-inch round pan or an ovenproof casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve in wedges.
We loved this - very easy to do - I added fresh thyme as I had no parsley and it was a terrific success-made for ZWT3 and will be made again - also a good way to use up left over mashed potato - in fact any veg mash could be substituted eg swede, pumpkin,sweet potato so thanks to Annacia
This was a tasty and unique dish, but I made a few adjustments. I used ground lamb, but found the onion and meat mixture needed to be drained before mixing in the potatoes, etc. Even so, the mixture seemed rather loose, so I ended up adding about 2-1/2 cups of mashed potatoes to thicken it up. I also added a teaspoon of harissa for a little pop. I baked it in an 11x7-inch pan for 45 minutes, which worked out very well. Made for ZWT9 by a Tasty Tester.
I tagged this because we like Shepherds pie. Although most people I know make it bland so a NA version is nice. I added some Harissa and Allspice to the meat mix and then layered potatoes meat then potatoes. I skipped the wet egg just because we are going to be eating many eggs this month. Thank You Made for Ramadan Tag 2011.