Da Huz's Note:
A hearty soup/stew from the desert region of Tunisia. Adapted from "Tunisia: Mediterranean Cuisine" published by Konemann. Note: there are a number of good recipes for harissa on Food.com, or you can just purchase it if your local store carries it. Also note: I listed this as "Libyan" in the recipe sifter because there's not an option for "Tunisian" or a generic "North African". I figured since Libya and Tunisia are neighbors, it was the best choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop the onion in a food processor until it is finely chopped.
- 2Chop the celery ribs and garlic in a food processor until they are finely chopped.
- 3In a thick-bottomed pot, saute the onion in the olive oil. Cook until onions are soft and sweet.
- 4Stir in tomato paste, harissa, paprika, caraway, and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and stir to mix.
- 5Add celery and garlic and stir to mix.
- 6Add 4 cups of water. Stir well. Bring to the boil and simmer 20 minutes.
- 7Add semolina and stir. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- 8Scoop out the flesh from the lemon. Chop coarsely and add to soup. Simmer another 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tunisian Hsou from Tozeur
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 129.6
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g