Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this on a Tunisian website where Paula Wolfert was credited with the recipe. It's different from all the others on the site. I also edited out the caraway since I don't like the stuff. Cooking time includes the 30 minutes soaking time. Enjoy!
- Place dried chiles in bowl and pour boiling water over. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Grind chiles in food processor with garlic, spices, red bell pepper and salt. Add enough oil to make a thick paste.
- Pack the mixture into a small jar. Cover harissa with thin layer of olive oil.
- Will keep in refrigerator for 3 weeks under a thin layer of oil. Check periodically.
- Table Harissa sauce: Combine 4 teaspoons of the above harissa sauce with 4 teaspoons of water and the juice of 1 lemon. Serve in small bowl and use as dipping sauce for fish or other meats.