Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An 8-hour soaking time is needed but if you enjoy something different this just may be it. Garlic and warm spices add so much to this substantial soup. From Ethnic Cuisine.
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 3 cups chickpeas (soaked overnight in cold water to cover and drained well)
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 carrots, very finely chopped
- 2 onions, very finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, very finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy-bottom soup pan. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained chickpeas, water, cumin and coriander. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a separate pan. Add the vegetables, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the chickpeas. Transfer half the soup to a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Return the purée to the pan, then add half the lemon juice. Taste and adjust lemon juice. Season with S&P. Heat through. Ladle into warm bowls and sprinkle with the chopped fresh cilantro and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
This is good. I added extra freshly squeezed lemon juice. Made for RECIPE SWAP #38 - March 2010 - Group 2 - Iced Vo Vo's.
I just made this for our lunch, and we were impressed-it's so delicious. I was also keen to cut back on the fat, but think it's an important part of the final taste, so halved it in both steps. I added the juice of half a lemon, then half of the next half which was just right for us. Next time I make this, I'd be inclined to add a couple of teaspoons of harissa to it for a bit of bite, but it is really, really good as is too. I used half water, half home made stock for a richer flavour.
Really enjoyed this basic and wholesome soup! Made as directed. 3 cups of chickpeas is basically a 16 ounce package. Thanks, Julie B's Hive! Made for PRMR.