Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
You can use fresh fava beans for this. Just remove the beans from the pods and then proceed. Peeling the fava beans is time consuming but well worth it! From the cookbook Mediterranean Food of the Sun.
- 12 ounces frozen fava beans or 12 ounces fresh fava beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 -5 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Simmer the fava beans in water for 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain and, when cool enough to handle, peel off the outer skin so you are left with the bright green center. Put these aside.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and gently saute the scallions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fava beans and then stir in the cilantro, mint, cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Stir in the olive oil and serve immediately.
CAN I GIVE 10 STARS??? Susie, dearest, I am soo happy to review this for you! When I went in to FN/Scripps/Zaar the other day, I did some shopping & found fresh fava beans at a market & just HAD to get some because I'd never had them before. then i found this recipe & had to make it. SOOOO DELICIOUS!!! EVERYBODY loved them!!! BUT....omg, peeling them after they cooked was a total, complete pain in the beehive. made for ZWT6 xoxoxo Bethie