Recipe by justcallmetoni
My love of eggs - for breakfast, lunch or dinner - is no secret. So when I came across this one I knew it was a likely winner. Have not tried it yet but posting it with the original ingredients. I will most likely reduce the calorie count in my own rendition.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped of fresh mint
- 4 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Before preparing dish, decide whether you want to cook the eggs in the oven or on the stove. Directions for both methods provided.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until soft. Add peppers and chile, cover and cook 8 minutes or until bell peppers are just tender.
- Add tomatoes to bell pepper mixture, cover and cook 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are blended but still retain their shape and texture. Season with salt and pepper and stir in mint.
- For oven baked eggs: Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Divide mixture among four individual serving oven-proof dishes. Make an indentation in vegetables and carefully add an egg to each one. Cook in oven 12 to 15 minutes or until eggs have set.
- For skillet poached eggs: Make four wells or cups in vegetable mixture and carefully break in eggs. Cover and cook over low heat 5 minutes, basting occasionally with juices.
- Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.