Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe uses a classic Tunisian spice mix called Harissa. I see that there are quite a few recipes her for Harissa. I know that they sell it at Whole Foods. It is very hot. To balance the heat, add some blood orange quarters. Cherry tomatoes would also work. This recipe comes from a cookbook called The African and Middle Eastern Cookbook.
- 4 tablespoons harissa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 -20 chicken wings
- 4 blood oranges, quartered
- icing sugar
- cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat grill or broiler to its hottest setting.
- Mix harissa and olive oil in a small bowl to make a paste. Add a little salt and stir.
- Brush wings with harissa mixture so they are well coated.
- Grill (or broil) the wings for 5 -8 minutes on each side, until cooked and a dark golden brown.
- While wings are cooking, dip the oranges in the icing sugar and grill them for a few minutes until they are slightly burnt but not black or charred.
- Serve the wings and oranges immediately. Top with cilantro if desired.
I know you may think the harissa is hot, when tasted on a spoon, but do not be afraid to use a lot in this recipe. Otherwise, the wings will be relatively flavorless. I would never think to grill oranges, but they went very well with these wings. Made for ZWT 6.