Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Orange juice forms part of this rich spicy sauce. Serve hot with couscous or rice.
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed with seeds removed
- 1 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 pieces orange peel
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan. Dry fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken and garlic and cook briskly, turning the chicken regularly to seal on all sides.
- Add the spices with 2-3 tbs of broth and sprinkle the flour over. Mix well, 'cooking out' the flour for 1 minute.
- Gradually mix in the remaining broth. Add the oregano, tomatoes, orange peel and juice.
- Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve.
This was a very easy, flavorful recipe, that required very little in the way of prep. I used a fresh orange peel and cut the chicken into chunks versus strips, but otherwise followed all directions as posted. We served with acerast's Rice Pilaf, Recipe #228832 (which was really good) and some boiled pole beans. This was a good recipe for a work night. Thanks!
Very flavorable - it was wonderful with couscous and steamed green beans. The blend of spices was heavenly and it was a quick and easy dish to prepare! I will add this to our rotation!
A really, really great recipe, & one I'll be keeping on hand, as I'm always on the lookout for new ways to fix chicken breasts! Absolutely loved the citrusy flavor of the sauce! Definitely a winner! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed during the Family Picks portion of ZWT6]