Top Review by Lorac
I am addicted to this easy to make and colorful dish. Sweet carrots in a spicy vinegary dressing, tamed with fresh cilantro. I didn't use 1/4 tsp of cayenne. I'm a Yankee and that amount equals my total consumption for a year, so one shake is enough for me. I don't like cilantro, but some how I knew it was important to this dish. I was brave and added 3 tbls and I am so glad I did. The cilantro mellows the vinegar and accents the other flavor. This is the first time I have enjoyed fresh cilanto and I keep going back for another fork full! It's even better chilled, so it is the perfect make ahead dish for any occassion.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4 in. rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook carrots in medium saucepan of boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes; drain well.
- Stir oil, cumin and cayenne in heavy large skillet over medium heat until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, then 1/2 cup water and vinegar.
- Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Mix in cilantro.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving).