Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Come explore the tastes of the sunny Mediterranean! This doubles easily and can be made ahead- goes well with Turkish Zucchini Pancakes. Explore the world from your kitchen!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4 in. rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook carrots in medium saucepan of boiling, salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes; drain well.
- Stir oil, cumin and cayenne in heavy large skillet over medium heat until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add carrots, then 1/2 cup water and vinegar.
- Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Mix in cilantro.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving).
I am addicted to this easy to make and colorful dish. Sweet carrots in a spicy vinegary dressing, tamed with fresh cilantro. I didn't use 1/4 tsp of cayenne. I'm a Yankee and that amount equals my total consumption for a year, so one shake is enough for me. I don't like cilantro, but some how I knew it was important to this dish. I was brave and added 3 tbls and I am so glad I did. The cilantro mellows the vinegar and accents the other flavor. This is the first time I have enjoyed fresh cilanto and I keep going back for another fork full! It's even better chilled, so it is the perfect make ahead dish for any occassion.
FANTASTIC! perfect balance of spice and sweetness. thank you!
What a spicy and fragrant way to eat carrots !! This salad is wonderful ! Who needs that overly sweet mayonnaise and raisin stuff ?!? This salad is delicious !!! All I added was a little salt .