Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Not the typical shredded carrot salad. The carrots are sliced and cooked til fork-tender first. I added the red onion and a pinch of sugar. Make ahead and chill. Best if brought to room temp. for serving.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch round slices
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon sugar, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook carrots in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain well.
- Stir oil, onions, cumin and cayenne in heavy large skillet over medium heat until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add to skillet, the cooked, drained carrots, then 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper (and sugar if using). Remove from heat and cool.
- Mix in chopped cilantro.
- Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Can be made up to 1 day ahead.