Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Beets?!? To some they are scary tubers that stain everything bright pink, but they are really tasty if you give 'em a chance. This recipe is a classic Israeli side dish and originates in Tunisia (N. Africa) Serve alone or over greens.
- 4 -6 beetroots
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- cook beets in boiling water until tender, peel skin (by hand is easiest).
- cube or slice peeled beetroot and place in bowl.
- add sugar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and pinch of salt to beets. Toss to combine.
- Opt: add sliced mint (reserving small amount for garnish) toss
- refrigerate or let cool before serving.
Anyone who loves beetroot should love this recipe. The dressing doesn't overtake the flavour of the beets, and it is very simple to make. I will rate it after I try it with mint, which unfortunately I didn't have on hand.
Very simple and nice. Served it over rucola and added some feta cheese on the top. Thanks.