Recipe by gypsysister
Beets?!? To some they are scary tubers that stain everything bright pink, but they are really tasty if you give 'em a chance. This recipe is a classic Israeli side dish and originates in Tunisia (N. Africa) Serve alone or over greens.
Top Review by Soobeeoz
Anyone who loves beetroot should love this recipe. The dressing doesn't overtake the flavour of the beets, and it is very simple to make. I will rate it after I try it with mint, which unfortunately I didn't have on hand.
- 4 -6 beetroots
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- cook beets in boiling water until tender, peel skin (by hand is easiest).
- cube or slice peeled beetroot and place in bowl.
- add sugar, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and pinch of salt to beets. Toss to combine.
- Opt: add sliced mint (reserving small amount for garnish) toss
- refrigerate or let cool before serving.