Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of my favorite sandwiches. It is great for a picnic or outing. They hold up very well, and can be made 24 hours in advance.
- 12 ounces tuna in olive oil, drained
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1⁄3 cup good quality mayonnaise (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup olive tapenade (see my recipe)
- 4 large bagels (I use Everything bagels)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 slices red onions, thinly sliced
- Slice the bagel. Place at least 2 tablespoons of the tapenade on each bagel slice, spreading it to the edges. You may need a little more or less. You want to really cover the bagel, this will keep it from becoming soggy.
- Mix the tuna, capers, lemon juice and mayo, breaking up the large pieces of tuna.
- Put about 1/4 of the tuna salad on the bottom slice of the bagel.
- Put a few slices of onion, if desired on top of the tuna.
- Top with a slice of Swiss cheese or another cheese if you prefer, or leave it off. Cover with the bagel top and press down.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors meld. Can be made 24 hours in advance.