Recipe by FlemishMinx
This is a a favorite at our house with all the flavors that we love. I would say don't even try this with frozen tuna (it just isn't the same), only fresh will do!
- 4 tuna steaks, about 1-inch thick
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb roma tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 TBS oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat; add the onions and saute about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes, then add in the tomatoes, basil and capers, stirring well to combine.
- Simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes; mixture will thicken.
- Remove sauce to a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the sauce pan, then heat with remaining 3 TBS of oil over medium heat.
- Salt and pepper fish to taste, then place in the pan when oil is hot.
- Cook fish about 3 minutes per side (fish should be light brown at edges but still pink inside).
- Pour the tomato mixture over the fish and simmer for about 5 minutes, then serve immediately!