Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This Tuscan recipe uses classic Italian ingredients. This recipe is so easy to make. I found it in Bon Appétit Magazine (May 2000) and I haven't changed a thing! It's even better if you sear the tuna steaks on the grill (for about 2 minutes each side).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks (bout 1 inch thick)
- fresh basil sprig
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, parsley and garlic. Sauté until onion is tender but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)
- Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm before continuing.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Mix in torn basil.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle tuna with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in another heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tuna and cook until golden and just opaque in center, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer tuna to platter.
- Spoon sauce over tuna.
- Garnish with basil sprigs.