Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This dish looks fantastic. Serve with a fresh green salad.
- 4 tuna steaks, 25 mm thick
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 fresh red chilies, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 2 star fruit, sliced width wise
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh coriander
- Pour the lime juice over the tuna and marinate, covered, for 1 hour.
- Put the macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, chillies, ginger, cardamom and turmeric into the food processor or blender and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frypan and add the blended paste and water.
- Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes then add the lemongrass and star fruit.
- Stir and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the fish and cook over a medium heat, turning the steaks carefully several times to coat them with the paste.
- Add a little more water if the paste looks like drying up.
- Cook the steaks for about 8 minutes if you like them rare or up to 15 minutes for well done.
- Serve on warmed plates with steamed rice, garnished with coriander sprigs.