Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
A real Italian pasta salad! Great for a light summertime meal or a delicious light lunch. My husband loves this pasta and its so quick & easy to make. This recipe was passed down from a friend who's has traveled to Italy and agrees to the authenticity!
- 1 can high quality canned tuna in vegetable oil (we prefer Genova brand)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- olive oil
- 1 bunch chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta (I prefer whole wheat pasta)
- kosher salt
- fresh parmesan cheese or romano cheese (I prefer Locatelli Pecorino romano)
- Cook pasta till al dente.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in large bowl.
- Toss with cooked pasta.
- Garnish with cheese and adjust seasonings.
Every easy and open to variation to suit any need.
I used 1/2 a lemon, adding a little zest to the salad. I used 2 T. olive oil, and 1 tsp. dried basil. After mincing the garlic, I let it soak in the olive oil while the pasta cooked. I used about 1/2 tsp. salt, solid white albacore tuna packed in water (drained & flaked), liberal pepper and about 1/4 c. fresh Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano). The flavor was light and refreshing: not too tuna, not too lemony, not too basil...and the penne adds a nice texture. Made for a great lunch. Thanks!