Recipe by Gato Volando
I found this recipe on the web a few years back. You can tell its not one of my experiments, no hot peppers. It is one of my favorites and I get rave reviews when I cook it for friends. It works well with mahi mahi as too, though mahi mahi shouldn't be eaten rare. Not health food, but hey, that's what Decadent Saturdays are for.
- 4 (6 ounce) ahi tuna steaks, about 1 inch thick each
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms or 6 ounces morels, stemmed,sliced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup low-fat whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat two tablespoons vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Pepper one side of the tuna steaks, place pepper side down and sear for two minutes.
- Turn tuna over and continue cooking, about two minutes for rare, four for medium.
- Transfer tuna to plate and keep warm.
- Add olive oil, green onions, cilantro, ginger and garlic to same skillet and saute about 30 seconds.
- Mix in mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer 30 seconds for shiitake, 1 minute for morels.
- Add half and half and simmer until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Spoon sauce onto plates and place tuna steak on top.
- Garnish with cilantro and a slice of pickled ginger.