Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Last year my daughter bought me some vintage cookbooks and I love going through them to find different recipes to try. This recipe came from Betty Crocker's Dinner in a Dish, published in 1965. It's a different and tasty tuna casserole!
- Cook the broccoli 5 minutes; drain well. Lay broccoli spears in a 9x13 baking dish.
- Drain the tuna. Cover the broccoli in the dish with the tuna.
- Put the cornbread mix in a medium bowl. Stir in the salt, sage, mustard, green pepper, and red pepper. Add the milk and egg and stir until combined.
- In a small saucepan heat the soup to boiling (do not dilute). Pour the hot soup over the tuna in the baking dish.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cornbread mixture onto the hot soup.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until top is golden.
this is great and lots healthier than the usual tuna casserole. I did have to make some adjustments based on the sizes of my ingredients, for instance my brocolli, tuna were smaller sizes than indicated and I only used 1/2 of the cornbread mix (as mine was 16 oz), but all in all it is a very good dish -- and could also be an emergency meal, as most of the ingredients are usually on hand - maybe subbing the frozen veggies for whatever is in the freezer at the moment. Great meal for a cold night. Thanks for sharing!