Recipe by velorutionista
A simple salad, but full of healthy ingredients. I love this perpared pilaf style (i.e. no dressing), but my hubby prefers it with the dressing. You can switch up the ingredients, too (I do quite often depending on what I have on hand!)
Top Review by gkostova04
The combination is nice. I like the orangy taste. However, the salad needs more flavor: I think I would like to add something sour (to go with the fish) or something spicy, or anything to add some flavor.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces tuna in water, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked corn kernel (frozen will work, just defrost first)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh herb (like parsley, cilantro, mint)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 orange, zest of
- 4 -6 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine quinoa & water in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over medium high flame, then reduce flame to low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, till water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Combine tuna, beans, corn, bell pepper, and herbs in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, zest, orange juice, and salt and pepper till smooth.
- When quinoa is done cooking, let cool a few minutes, then combine with veggies in bowl. Drizzle with dressing (if using), stir to mix. Serve warm or chilled.