A lot of combined recipes and a lot of tasting led me to this vegged-up comfort meal. A few more steps round out this one-dish meal with a full complement of sauteed vegetables. You can change or expand the toppings to include panko or bread crumbs with a little butter, crushed potato chips, paprika, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or 2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 1/2 cups dry curly wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion, up to 1/2 cup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green bell peppers
- 4 ounces fresh sliced white mushrooms, halved (can use more)
- 13 ounces frozen mixed vegetables (can use less)
- 1/4 teaspoon low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 cup water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Prep vegetables.
- 2Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil, then toss in kosher salt. Add egg noodles, stir and boil until al dente or just underdone; drain well in colander.
- 3Meanwhile, heat a large skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add onions, garlic, bell pepper and mushrooms. Saute about 6 minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- 4Add frozen mixed vegetables, bouillon granules and up to 1/8 cup water. Stir well, bring to boil, cover & simmer 7-10 minutes or until tender. At end, drain liquid and season with salt and pepper. Re-cover and set aside.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Flake drained tuna in large bowl. Add a scant 1/2 cup milk, mayo & soup; mix thoroughly. Stir in cooked vegetables. Add 1 cup shredded cheddar and drained noodles. Mix all together well.
- 7Spoon tuna mixture into prepared casserole. Top with extra cheese and any additional toppings desired. Cook covered at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Remove cover and cook for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna Vegetable Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 373.9
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 66.0 mg
- Sodium 1696.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 24.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
Healthy Request cream of celery soup