Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I stole this idea from one of those dinner assembly place menus. The addition of tortellini as the "noodles" in tuna noodle casserole almost makes it decadent. It is still just a basic tuna noodle casserole recipe - not really meant to be real spicy or or exciting :-) Just comfort food . . .
- Fill a large pot with 4 quarts water and put on high heat to boil.
- Chop onion and celery and saute in a little oil or spray. (Note: Feel free to add mushrooms or peppers, I can barely get away with celery with my family's tastes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add tortellini to water and cook per package directions - you can undercook a little.
- In a 2 quart casserole, mix tuna, soup, and milk.
- Add celery and onion mixture to casserole.
- Drain tortellini and add to casserole. Add cheese and fold in with tuna mixture.
- Sprinkle with crushed potato chips, bread crumbs, etc., if you desire.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
I have another recipe for hashbrowns that is similar in idea. I did not add the milk to this and essentially make a cheese sauce in the oven. I left the soup at full strength and simply sprinkled the cheese on top of the casserole with some bread crumbs. The only addition I made was to add garlic. It's a good recipe though!
I also thought this was a bit bland for my taste but my 15 month old daughter couldn't stop eating it! Also, I didn't know whether to cover the casserole in the oven and the tortellini turned out pretty dry on top - maybe if I had covered it, it wouldn't've dried out. I'll definitely be making it again and playing around with a little more spice.
I made this over the weekend and it was really a hit. I did tweak it a bit: I used whole wheat tortellini which can be a bit bland, so I added a couple of shakes of tabasco sauce and used Italian blend cheese. It made 6 good-sized servings (using a single 9-oz package of tortellini and one large can of albacore, but the whole can of soup and measure of cheese, celery and onion). Maybe that's too much tweaking, but it was a great meal !