Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Here's a delicious twist on good old tuna casserole. The tomatoes freshen up this favorite and lighten it while the cheese adds its own goodness. It's easy to put this together which makes it a good weeknight meal choice. Additional tuna may be added, if desired.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles, cooked according to package directions and drained
- 8 -10 plum tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (1 cup) or 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine in a bowl, the tuna, mayonnaise, onion, salt and pepper.
- After draining cooked noodles, return them to their pan. Add the tuna mixture and mix to blend well.
- Layer 1/2 of the noodle mixture in a 9x13-inch baking pan. Top with 1/2 of tomatoes and 1/2 of cheese. Press down lightly; repeat layers.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes or until bubbly.