Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Emerils.com. This is the mostest in comfort food. No canned soups.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, ends trimmed, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons emeril's original spice essence
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna, drained and broken up
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) bag potato chips, crushed
- Saute the onion and bell peppers in 6 tablespoons butter in a large skillet or Dutch overn over high heat until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add the mushrooms, Essence and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and have released their liquid, about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and chicken stock, stirring until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and very flavorful, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the egg noodles until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Butter a 9x13" casserole or baking dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- When the sauce has thickened, add the noodles, tuna, parsley, salt, black pepper and parmesan to the skillet and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to the prepared casserole and top with potato chips.
- Bake uncovered until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Maybe not as easy as opening a can, but oh so worth it. My changes, no essense and subbed cracker crumbs for potato chips.