Recipe by Laurefin
This recipe started from a recreational class at the Institute of Culinary Education in NYC, with some added ingredients inspired by the tuna tartare at Bobby Flay's restaurant. Cook time is refrigeration/marinating time.
- 1⁄2 lb sushi quality tuna, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced scallion
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil (can also use olive oil, or chili oil)
- 1 tablespoon minced capers
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cholula hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cholula hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno (or other spicy pepper)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thai red chili paste
- 2 English cucumbers
- minced chives, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Gently comibine all ingredients, except for the cucumbers and chives, in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- To serve as hand-held hors d'oeuvres, cut the cucumber into 3/4" slices and use a melon baller to scoop out a hollow in the center of each slice (be careful not to scoop all the way through). Spoon the marinated tuna into the cucumber "cups". Garnish with chives.
- Alternately, cut the cucumber into 1/4" slices and serve as "chips" for the tartare.
- Makes enough to fill about 15 cucumber cups.