1/1 Photo of Tuna Tartare (Barefoot Contessa) Ina Garten
I just saw the Barefoot Contessa make this on her "Book Party" show, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, 2002. It reminded me of an affair I attended awhile back and they served Tuna Tartare -- I loved it! This runs the closest second to the one I had. I hope you will try it -- it is scrumptious! It requires at least 1 hour chilling time while the flavors marry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4 lbs very fresh tuna steaks
- 1 1/4 cups olive oil
- 5 limes, zest of, grated
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (please not the bottled)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups minced scallions, white and green parts (12 scallions)
- 3 1/4 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed
- 5 ripe Hass avocadoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- 1Cut the tuna into 1/4-inch dice and place it in a very large bowl.
- 2In a separate bowl, combine the olive oil, lime zest, lime juice, wasabi, soy sauce, hot red pepper sauce, salt, and pepper.
- 3Pour over the tuna, add the scallions and jalapeno, and mix well.
- 4Cut the avocados in half, remove the seed, and peel.
- 5Cut the avocados into 1/4-inch dice.
- 6Carefully mix the avocado into the tuna mixture; so that the lime juice covers thewm. (To prevent discoloration).
- 7Add the toasted sesame seeds, if using, and season to taste.
- 8Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour for the flavors to blend.
- 9Serve on crackers.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tuna Tartare (Barefoot Contessa) Ina Garten
Serving Size: 1 (63 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.6
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 429.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
limes, zest of