Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is wonderful tasty stew!!
Make and share this Tuna Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 7 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut in 2 inch cubes
- 3 green bell peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 2 lbs fresh tuna, cut into bite sized chunks
- 4 slices crusty white bread
- salt and pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan and add the onion.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes until soft and brown.
- Add the garlic and cook a further 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a clean saucepan mix together the potatoes and peppers.
- Add the water (which should just cover the veggies), bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the tuna and the tomato mixture to the potatoes and peppers and season.
- Cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes until the tuna is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frypan over a medium heat and add the bread slices.
- Fry on both sides until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with the stew.
- Variation: Substitute any very firm fleshed fish, such as shark or swardfish for the tuna.
I was so intrigued by the ingredients and the preparation I just had to try this one. Also, I am a big fan of fish soups, so this was right up my alley. Though not quite as brothy as I usually like, the loads of peppers really mellowed out and made a great stock with the peppers and onions. My husband loved the big chunks of meaty tuna! I would like to try this again a few more times, maybe adding some jalapeno and lemon juice, maybe even some pineapple juice to come closer to the vietnamese fish soup I love so much!! Thanks for the great recipe. It makes a ton, too. We've made two meals of it so far, and I bet we'll get at least one more!