Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A superb way to prepare fresh tuna or salmon. The fish steaks are coated with coarse pepper, pan-seared, and served with a simple relish of mango and cilantro. Recipe adaptation is from Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author. Cook time includes 30 minute relish chill time.
- 2 ripe mangoes, in 1/4 inch dice
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 (6 ounce) fresh tuna steaks
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper, divided
- Mix the mango, cilantro and salt; chill for 30 minutes.
- Press 1/2 tsp pepper into one side of each steak; season with salt; sear, pepper side down, in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; sear other side, leaving center of steak pink.
- Cut each steak on the bias into 1/2" thick pieces; scoop the mango relish into the center of each serving plate; form a circle of overlapping tuna slices around the mango and garnish with cilantro leaves.