Prep 40 mins
Cook 12 mins
I saw Giada De Laurentiis make this on her show on the Food Network, and knew I had to try it. They came out very tasty and they made a great presentation! They would be a wonderful way to impress company! Next time I would cook the fennel and onion for a bit in the oven before placing them on the skewer, as they were not quite done to my liking. This could easily be done on the grill also.
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb tuna, cut into 1-inch cubes, about 24 pieces
- 12 green onions, trimmed
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 2 lemons
- 1 large red onion
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- For marinade:.
- Mix together all the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl.
- For the skewers:.
- Toss the cubed tuna in the marinade and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the green onions and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the green onions to a medium bowl of ice water.
- When the green onions are cool, pat dry with paper towels.
- Trim the stalks and the root end off the fennel.
- Halve the fennel lengthwise, then cut each half into 3 pieces.
- Cut each lemon into 6 pieces.
- Cut the red onion in half from stem to root end.
- Cut each half in half again lengthwise and cut each quarter into thirds.
- There should be 12 pieces of each vegetable.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the tuna and toss the vegetables in the marinade.
- Thread each skewer starting with a tomato.
- Then begin to thread the green onion starting with the tip of the white end.
- Add a piece of tuna.
- Keeping the ingredients near to the top of the skewer, ribbon the green onion around a piece of tuna and back through the skewer.
- Next add the red onion, and ribbon the green onion around the red onion and the skewer again.
- Next add another piece of tuna, and ribbon the green onion around again.
- Next add a piece of fennel, and ribbon the green onion around for the final time.
- Top with a piece of lemon.
- Center the ingredients on the skewer.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm on a bed of rice.