Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is a new take on an old sauce. DH loves peppers any way,any type,any place. He must eat lots of vegetables so I came up with this sauce.
- 2 (6 ounce) cans canned tuna, drained
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons white flour or 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 4 cups 2% low-fat milk or 4 cups milk, of your choice
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, cored, seeded
- 2 teaspoons bonapetit seasoning (McCormick)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper or 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 450*.
- Put red pepper on tray and roast until skin starts to shrivel and turn a little brown.
- Take out and put in brown paper sack to cool.Throw skin away.Core & seed. When cool cut in slivers or diced in small pieces.
- In medium saucepan, add tuna, margarine and flour, mix well, stirring in so there is no lumps and no white flour showing, blended.
- Add the milk all at once, and stir.
- Turn heat to medium and add red pepper slivers.
- Stir, it will slowly thicken to a thin to medium sauce consistency. It you want it thicker,take out 1/2 cup of sauce and add a little flour to it mix and put back in the sauce and stir.
- Add Bonapetit seasoning (celery seed, onion & salt, powdered) and pepper of your choice.
- I did not make it too peppery to taste.
- Serve over toasted French Bread, rice, curly noodles or orzo.