Recipe by Kate J
I can't eat mayo, so I never really liked tuna until one day I tried making it like this. It's really simple, but a great alternative if you don't like mayo.
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese with chives
- 2 1⁄2 ounces tuna
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a frying pan to medium heat.
- Spread one slice of bread with cream cheese.
- Top with tuna.
- Add the provolone on top of the tuna.
- Top with second slice of bread.
- Butter the outside slices of the sandwich and grill in the pan like a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Another option is to grill in a panini maker.
- A quicker and perhaps lighter option is to toast the bread in a toaster before assembling the sandwich and then microwave for 30 seconds or so just enough to melt the cheese.
- You can experiment with different cheeses--I have used Swiss, Munster and sharp cheddar as well.
- You can change the cream cheese to plain or veggie as well.
- If the tuna is still to "dry" for you, try mixing 1-2 tablespoons sour cream with the tuna before assembling the sandwich.