Recipe by Motley Oklahoman
Take a tuna sandwich, and add eggs, milk and canned soup = tuna sandwich casserole!
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
I chose this recipe as one of my PAC babies as it had no reviews and I love being the first to review. Besides it sounded just enough different from the usual tuna casseroles that we enjoy that I really wanted to try it. Glad I did, it was good, though I think I may still prefer noodles as I'm not a big soaked bread person- but the flavors all came through nicely and DH really enjoyed it, will be having left overs tonight. Made for Spring PAC 2013
- 12 slice whole wheat bread
- 88.74 ml butter, softened
- 2 (340.19 g) can tuna, drained and flaked
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml Old Bay Seasoning (or other seafood seasoning)
- 1.5 ml louisiana hot sauce (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 473.18 ml milk
- 283.49 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- Trim the crusts from the bread slices. Spread a side of 6 of the bread slices with half of the softened butter. Place the bread slices , buttered side up over the bottom of the prepared baking dish, trimming slices as necessary to fit; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the tuna, celery, onion, and garlic. Add the mayonnaise and spices; stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Spread the tuna mixture over the buttered bread slices in the baking dish. Spread the remaining butter over a side of each of the remaining bread slices. Place the bread slices, buttered side up, over the tuna mixture, trimming the slices as necessary to fit.
- In a large bowl using a wire whisk, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk and undiluted cream of mushroom soup; mix well. Carefully pour the soup mixture evenly over the bread and tuna layers in the baking dish. Cover the baking dish and chill in the refridgerator overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the casserole, uncovered, in the oven about 1 hour or until the top of the casserole is golden brown.